Subject: Re: Attack of the clones: turning sl*, strip*, ppp* into cloners.
To: Michael Richardson <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/26/2002 15:42:39
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Michael Richardson wrote:

:     Andrew> that said, adding such a facility for automatic pre-creation of
:     Andrew> cloning interfaces ought not to be very hard.
:   Yes, it would be good to do that for awhile so that people aren't confused.
: ("How come I do not have any PPP devices. Look, I compiled them into the
: kernel!")

Document it, don't hack it.

The whole point of cloning devices is *not* to hardcode the number into the
kernel.  So, there shouldn't need to be a way to do that.

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --