Subject: Re: Attack of the clones: turning sl*, strip*, ppp* into cloners.
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/26/2002 02:14:27
>  With the changes, can I still insist that I have, e.g. two pppXs via
>the kernel config file? That would be the path of least surprise for the
>next release.

with cloning pseudo-interfaces, you simply declare that you want to
use them in your kernel config, but don't specify how many.  then you
create them as you need them.  barring pppd being given the capability
of creating them if it needs to (perhaps it oughta try to create a
specific one, if it is told that it needs to, and later destroy it if
it created it), you can certainly do this:

	# echo create > /etc/ifconfig.ppp0
	# echo create > /etc/ifconfig.ppp1

and you'll have two after /etc/rc.d/network runs.  i have a gif
interface on one machine that contains this:

	create
	! /usr/local/freenet6/bin/tspc -f /usr/local/freenet6/tspc.conf

and it works just fine.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|