Subject: Re: Proposed NetBSD DHCP Vendor Class Identifier
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/17/2002 10:35:20
On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 07:09:13PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:

 > > Requester	That which is making the DHCP request, currently could
 > > 		be "libsa" or "kernel".
 >
 > There might be a stage before "libsa" - some boot ROM or so
 > which loads the (libsa based) bootloader.

Hm.  Well, in the scenario I'm working with here, we have:

	system firmware -- PXEClient:Arch:00000
	pxeboot -- NetBSD:i386:libsa
	kernel -- NetBSD:i386:kernel:1.5ZA

Presumably, system firmware would not be using the "NetBSD" VCI.

 > > ...fields after here are valid only if Requester == kernel.
 > >
 > > Version		Kernel version, e.g. "1.5ZA".
 >
 > Perhaps add a "boot command argument" if given on the
 > bootloader prompt?

Hm.  Yah, I can see how that would be useful .. but would that be better
off in the Vendor Encapsulated Options?