Subject: Proposed NetBSD DHCP Vendor Class Identifier
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/16/2002 17:25:27
Folks...

I'd like to propose the a Vendor Class Identifier for DHCP requests
made by the NetBSD libsa and kernel.

The idea is that the VCI can be used to idenfify a particular class
of NetBSD host, and eventually provide information on how to parse
Vendor Encapsulated Options, should we decide to use those in the
future.

For now, a fair amount of useful information can be conveyed in the
VCI.  The format I'm proposing is somewhat extensible; a series of
":"-separated fields, not unlike that which PXE uses.  The first 4
fields I'm proposing are:

	NetBSD:Machine:Requester:Version

Machine		The name of the port, e.g. "i386", "hp300", etc.

Requester	That which is making the DHCP request, currently could
		be "libsa" or "kernel".

...fields after here are valid only if Requester == kernel.

Version		Kernel version, e.g. "1.5ZA".

Comments?