Subject: Re: TCP Timeouts.
To: None <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/28/2002 17:36:35
In message <20020129011830.7DE8F2A51@orchard.arlington.ma.us>,
Bill Sommerfeld writes:

>there's one set of timeouts which the user should be allowed to tweak
>(within system-specified bounds): the "give up and close the
>connection" timeouts (initial connection, established connection, and
>the keepalive/makedead timeouts).

The first two, yes. I did it myself, back in NZ in the 80s.  You soon
realize that you need to change *both* ends of the TCP;
which isn't always feasible.

I'm less worried over changing keepalives times/rates. Those are
already sysctl'able, , but as you say, we'd need max and min for both
rate and drop-point, changeable only by root, beforehand. Plus a few
more bytes in every tcb; which some users may care about.

[...]