Subject: Re: dhcpd(8) & Sockets API
To: RJ Atkinson <>
From: Matt Thomas <>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/07/2002 10:04:04
At 08:39 AM 1/7/2002 -0500, RJ Atkinson wrote:

>Dennis's analysis seems dead-on to me.  The fix would be to have some
>kind of BSD Sockets API extension that could be used to identify the
>arriving interface for DHCP REQUEST packets.  Ideally, such an
>extension would be coordinated with the other *BSD kernel folks,
>so it could be more widely implemented than just NetBSD.

Actually, it already exists (in a slightly different form).  The IPv6
Advanced API contains just a method (IPV6_PKTINFO).  Just use the same
abstraction for IPv4 (IP_PKTINFO, struct in_pktinfo).  It's trivial.
I've done it in a private source pool.

Matt Thomas               Internet:
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL: