Subject: Re: How to retrieve count of actual bytes placed on the wire?
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Justin Wojdacki <justin.wojdacki@analog.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/04/2002 14:31:30
Jeff Rizzo wrote:

> > netstat doesn't include the ethernet framing bytes
> > because this info isn't always available to the driver
> > (think about hardware vlan support for example).
>
> Yeah, I was afraid that was the case. I was hoping
> someone who knows more than I do would tell me otherwise.
> :)
>
> Thanks for the reply, though!

Does your NIC provide any counters for things like this? Some (well,
at least one does) do, so you might be able to use this to your
advantage. However, you may find yourself writing code to access those
counters, if NetBSD doesn't already support them.

Admittedly, this may be a long shot for you, but it's a possibility.

Justin Wojdacki
justin.wojdacki@analog.com         (408) 350-5032
Communications Processors Group -- Analog Devices