Subject: Re: Patch for timiting TCP MSS (i.e. for new PPPoE)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/08/2001 12:14:21
I suspect that more of these non-homogenous networks will crop up.
All the world isn't ethernet with a 1500 byte payload.
FDDI is (I think) 4500
4Mb token ring (about) 4472
16Mb token ring (about) 17800
Now with the larger sizes, filling the frame isn't as important, neither
are the above limits absolute - the token ring spec only defines a time
interval, the values above are from the source routing spec.

Other issues:
- The forward and reverse routes may be entirely different
  (eg phone uplink, satellite downlink)
- The routes might change during the lifetime of the connection

These all conspire to make anything other that the ultra-conservative
536 or something that dynamically detects network problems with large
fragments.

    David