Subject: Re: Updating ipfilters
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/05/2001 22:43:17
> In some email I received from David Laight, he wrote:
> > Maybe someone ought to put the effort into giving it a 'proper' user/kernel
> > interface - rather than all the grovelling around /dev/(k)mem that
> > probably goes on at the moment.
>
> I'm looking for a volunteer for such a project, could that person be you ?

Well, seems a traditional way to get write access to the BSD CVS tree :-)

I've a growing list of things to do:

- write my CV up and get another job - no progress since June :-)
- port ZFS (a feature rich union filesystem) to (say) netBSD
  (the code last ran under Unixware 7, and is SMP clean)
- port netBSD to a strongARM/sidekick system
- get my sun3 running (I think 240v blew its 110v psu)
- fix all the bugs I've found in netBSD......

At the moment I'm trying to work out how to (safely) build 'current'.
None of the sets of instructions I've found quite match reality.

FYI I've a lot of experience of SMP kernels (mainly SVR4 - eg Unixware 2/7)
for sparc and x86, and of comms protocol stacks.

The ipfilter code ought to be trivial!

    David