Subject: Re: upgrading ipfilter (was: patch for limiting MSS)
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/05/2001 16:14:28
Well, I'm sure you hear much more complaining about problems than
appreciation when things go smoothly, so I for one would like to thank you
for your great work on ipfilter.

I cast my vote (not that its worth much) for keeping ipfilter up to date.
Dealing with the changes caused by updating your kernel is what tracking
-current is all about, isn't it?  Couldn't there potentially be the same
problem with any userland program that relies on kernel APIs which aren't
gaurenteed to be backwords compatable?  I'm not sure if its still the case
(does it use procfs now?), but I know ps used to stop working sometimes
after building a new kernel.

Anyway, if a majority of people are of the oppinion that its better NOT to
update ipfilter, then I'll just get in the habit of installing the latest
versions manually myself.

Couldn't ipf be loaded from an lkm so that the lkm and userland could be
easily kept in sync?

Thanks,
	Rick