Subject: Re: Patch for timiting TCP MSS (i.e. for new PPPoE)
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/05/2001 13:10:28
On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, John Hawkinson wrote:

> > I hope that this is a symptom of it being a fairly old version and that it
> > is fixed in the current code.  IPFilter 3.4.22 is the current revision:
> > http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ip-filter.html
> >
> > Of course, releng aren't interested in seeing it merged onto the 1.5 branch
> > (according to the last comment from them) either.
>
> I would like to clarify. We would rather not see ipfilter updated on
> the branch, unless there's a compelling reason to do so. Potentially
> this is such a reason; certainly both bugs and features may be such
> reasons, though the smaller the change, the more easy it is to integrate.
>
> Specifically, any change that goes on the netbsd-1-5 branch has to be
> done first in -current (again, unless there is a compelling reason
> otherwise).
>
> In October, you inquired about 3.4.21 in the netbsd-1-5 branch, and
> you were asked to assess what sort of changes this would result in.

Is there some reason (other than no-one has stepped forward to do it),
that NetBSD-current hasn't been tracking ipfilter releases?  Atleast that
way we'd never get horribly out of date (new releases would have an
up-to-date ipfilter), and we'd have less work to do to pull up patches to
-release branches.  As it stands right now, -current is using an ipfilter
thats almost a year old.

If its simply that no-one has volunteered to do the work, then I will
volunteer to take a stab at it and submit patches.

Thanks,
Rick