Subject: Re: Patch for timiting TCP MSS (i.e. for new PPPoE)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/05/2001 00:21:51
Maybe I'm not sure exactly what is up here....

Surely the path MTU discovery has to be done separately by both ends.
(it is quite easy to arrange completely different routes for the two
directions of a single connection - phone line and satellite?)

This puts the onus on the transmitting end to ensure it doesn't break
the valid MTU.  The 'other' end will (must?) either determine an
accurate mac MTU or use a horribly small one, the value 'our' end
used won't (shouldn't) affect its calculations.

    David

(PS I've no idea what the NAT code is (should be) up to...)