Subject: Re: Patch for timiting TCP MSS (i.e. for new PPPoE)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/03/2001 10:01:48
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:

> Which still means you have to do it for each and every machine
> behind a pppoe router. It's hard to cope from our understanding of
> standards conformance, but we *realy* need a MSS clamping option for
> routers!

I'll second that. Setting MTU on routes isn't enough, in the case
where you have NetBSD on an intermediate router. It will help to have
a way to clamp (selectively) the MSS hint from a host on the inside as
it passes through the router out a certain interface or out a certain
route.

(And I just *hate* whiners who say, "this project NEEDS feature X"
then do nothing to help out. I promise work on it myself if no one
else does so first, but there are already months worth of after-hours
hacking in the queue.)