Subject: Re: controlling ehternet frame?
To: ?? <seong@etri.re.kr>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/26/2001 21:55:02
On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 11:36:27AM +0900, ?? wrote:
> I'm looking for following mechanism.
>
>     1. there is a physical ethernet interface and the machine(Routing Processor:RP) operates as a router.
>     2. the RP connects to several line card processor(LP) which has 3 external ethernet port.
>     3. the RP in which is running routing daemon should be able to send/receive routing message to/from the external port of the LP.
>     4. I'll use netBSD as the OS of the RP.

BBN built a router with an architecture very similar to this several years
ago, and published at least one paper on it.  The router ran NetBSD on the
host processor, more or less the RP in your architecture.

You might want to get their paper and read it to get a general sense of
what you'll need to do.  It's unusual for there to be public design and
implementation documentation for a high-performance router; though a number
of companies have built such devices running NetBSD, few of them have
chosen to tell the public exactly how they did so, presumably in order to
avoid helping their competitors.

Thor