Subject: Re: route(8) doesn't always exit(1) on an error
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <kml@selresearch.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/16/2001 10:41:17
In message <Pine.NEB.4.40.0111152040240.22908-100000@home.duh.org>Todd Vierling
 writes
>On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, der Mouse wrote:
>
>: > I want to use the route(8) (or an equivalent command) invoked from a
>: > program that adds and removes static routes.
>:
>: Why use a program, instead of manipulating the routing table yourself
>: directly with a routing socket?  It's arguably easier, almost certainly
>: faster, and completely avoids the problem you're having.
>
>Because the routing socket is one of the ugliest APIs that *BSD provides,
>and using it *properly* is a lot more difficult than it should be.  8-)

I can't argue with that, but I just spent a week or so wrestling with
Linux's netlink stuff.  Shudder.  At least the routing stuff in NetBSD
is somewhat documented in books like _TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol 2_.
For the netlink stuff, despite the presence of so-called HOWTOs,
you definitely have to UTSL.  :-(

Kevin
kml@selresearch.net