Subject: Re: drvspec ioctl question
To: Kyunghwan Kim <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/22/2001 10:24:17
>> where pr_usrreq(), in a call to manipulate a bridge device, will be a
>> udp socket, that means udp_usrreq() in netinet/udp_usrreq.c, which
>> does this:
>> 	if (req == PRU_CONTROL)
>> 		return (in_control(so, (long)m, (caddr_t)nam,
>> 		    (struct ifnet *)control, p));
>Oh, I see. That's why ioctl is associated with socket file
>descriptor which is SOCK_DGRAM type.

sort of, yeah.  actually, if you follow this code path with your eyes,
you'll find that a socket of any INET type will (i think) end up doing
the same work at manipulating interfaces.  the socket interface just
makes for a convenient control point.

>> in_control() in netinet/in.c has a default case near the bottom of a
>> long switch that does this:
>>                 error = (*ifp->if_ioctl)(ifp, cmd, data);
>> and that's how bridge_ioctl() gets called.
>Thank you for clarification.

not at all.  i've been reading a lot of this stuff lately, so i've got
most of it in my head at the moment.