Subject: Re: OT: non-TCP reliable streaming protocols
To: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/20/2001 11:53:09
At 11:56 AM -0600 9/20/01, Chris Jones wrote:
>Would anybody be willing to point me at reliable streaming protocols
>that aren't TCP?  For work, I'm looking at building something with a
>lot of TCP's properties, but there's a desire to diverge from this a
>bit.  For example, we're talking about more complex reassembly, where
>you never ask for retransmissions of packets you've seen.

CFDP  CCSDS File Delivery Protocol

It's a file/message transfer protocol designed for space links.  And
I mean links that aren't just to earth orbit where TCP almost works.
Look at <http://www.ccsds.org/itshot.html> under reviews in process.
If you are in the USA (so we don't have to fight ITAR restrictions on
spacecraft data) then we have a prototype implementation we can
probably give you.  It's been tested against two European and a
Japanese implementation of the Red-4 version of the protocol and the
Red-5 version is the result of those tests.  This should be very
close to the final.

Contact Scott.C.Burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov for more information.