Subject: Re: OT: non-TCP reliable streaming protocols
To: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/20/2001 14:51:03
[ On Thursday, September 20, 2001 at 11:56:00 (-0600), Chris Jones wrote: ]
> Subject: OT: non-TCP reliable streaming protocols
>
> If there's a repository somewhere of networking research and
> experimental protocols, that might be very useful.  Any ideas?

The entire body of research on TCP itself should contain many of the
answers you're seeking.  Many dead ends have been explored in TCP and
many potentially fruitful, but not widely implemented, ideas have been
explored and reported upon too.

You might search the ACM and IEEE digital libraries (extra cost options
to membership in both organisation) for a start -- the references from
those should take you quite some distance.

Stevens' "TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 1" includes lots of commentary on
the real-world experiences with TCP as well as some of the best
explanation of the protocol that I've read, and of course it also
contains a very excellent bibliography.  Comer's "Internetworking with
TCP/IP:  Principles, Protocols, and Architectures" contains good solid
explanations and a good bibliography too.

--
							Greg A. Woods