Subject: Re: Ricochet STRIP support for 128Kbps models?
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/08/2001 13:32:55 (Herb Peyerl) writes:
> Wolfgang Rupprecht <>  wrote:
>  > One thing to remember is that the current crop of 802.11b don't
>  > transmit anywhere near the limit either.  The cheap ones are 10mW and
>  > the good ones are 100mW.
> can you cite a source for the above?

One of the good ones at 100mW is here: (search for "Available Transmit
Power Settings")

One of the cheaper (looks like straight prism-II) designs is at:
(search "Max Output Power")

Many of the other companies will try to hide their TX power specs or
only quote them in dBm.  Just keep a cheat sheet around to decode that

    1W (30 dBm)
    100 mW (20 dBm)
    10 mW (10 dBm)
    1 mW (0 dBm)

For emacs users, here is what I use to convert back and forth:

(defun dbm (x)
  "Convert DBM (decibels-milliwatt) to watts."
  (* 1e-3 (expt 10.0 (/ x 10.0))))

(defun todbm (x)
  "Convert a power in WATTS to dbm (decibels-milliwatt)."
  (* 10.0 (log (* 1e3 x) 10.0)))

       Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
Coming soon: GPS mapping tools for Open Systems.