Subject: Re: PIM v2 for NetBSD
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/06/2001 20:15:06
    >> Are there any options for setting up PIM v2 tunnels on NetBSD?
    >> mrouted can not do this, I think.

    Jun-ichiro> do you mean that the automagical tunnelling toward the
    Jun-ichiro> rendezvous point, or something else?  if the former, PIM

  I'm on network X with ISP Y.
  ISP Y connects to research lab Z, research lab Z has tons of multicast.

  With mrouted, I'd make a DVMRP tunnel. Z isn't doing DVMRP anymore,
suggests PIM v2.

    Jun-ichiro> daemon has to do some magic.  the detail of the magic can be
    Jun-ichiro> vary, normally it results in the use of raw IP socket.  if
    Jun-ichiro> the latter, how about gif(4)?

  I see /usr/pkgsrc/net/pim6dd, will that work for IPv4 multicast?
  (As emitted by IETF...)

  I happen to already have V6 over gif to Z. Perhaps I should just try
that. But, I do not think that SDR and VAT are v6 ready yet? Nor is IETF
multicast people...