Subject: Walking an inpcb.inp_queue
To: None <>
From: Scott Barron <>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/29/2001 18:10:28

I am using kvm to access and then walk an inpcb.inp_queue (as netstat does)
to get to various members of struct socket.  I am wondering if there is a
danger of the kernel pulling one of the pointers out from under me (example:
if another process got scheduled and closed down that socket while I held
the pointer, etc).  I've minimized my accesses to inp_queue but am wondering
if I need to be worried about this and if so, is there anyway I can prevent
it?  (I wasn't sure wheather to post this to tech-net or tech-kern, please
let me know if its better suited to tech-kern.)

"as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,=20
we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention=20
of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
--Benjamin Franklin

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see