Subject: problems with 10/100 "le" (PCnet-PCI) interface....
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/27/2001 17:42:03
My IBM PC 325 server has an "le" interface on the planar board:

	le0 at pci1 dev 5 function 0: PCnet-PCI Ethernet
	le0: address 00:06:29:05:cf:8d
	le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
	le0: interrupting at irq 10

According to the IBM manual it is capable of 100baseTX/FDX and
"auto-negotiation occurs without requiring software intervention."

However NetBSD-1.5W doesn't see the 100baseTX capability:

        address: 00:06:29:05:cf:8d
        media: Ethernet autoselect
        supported Ethernet media:
                media autoselect
                media autoselect mediaopt full-duplex
                media 10baseT
                media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex
                media 10base5
                media 10base5 mediaopt full-duplex
        inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
        inet6 fe80::206:29ff:fe05:cf8d%le0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

If I leave it in "autoselect" or set "mediaopt full-duplex" my digital
VNswitch 900EX can indeed establish a link with it, but it fails
miserably to work reliably in either state.  I get well over 75% packet
loss, and no satisfaction....  (which is why I'm using the silly
Macronix card as the main interface now)

It does work just fine as a 10baseT card with all my switches and hubs.

I'm willing to experiment with adding new PHY code to try getting it to
work right, or trying other suggestions.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>     <>
Planix, Inc. <>;   Secrets of the Weird <>