Subject: Re: changing resolv.conf ?
To: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
From: Assar Westerlund <assar@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/27/2001 04:10:16
Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp> writes:
> You may want to call res_init() also when stat(2) fails with ENOENT.

The reasoning for not doing it was that it was probably better
continuing using the existing name servers rather than destroying
them, which I now see wouldn't happen.  But what would be the point of
calling res_init in that case?

> And dhclient can be modified not to update /etc/resolv.conf unless
> the contents is changed.

Yeah, as an optimisation.

> 	- is mdnsd suitable in any environemnt?

Yes, when you're relying on mcast dns such as in a zeroconf network.

> 	- you may have to wait some seconds anyway to confirm there is
> 	  no response.

You mean in the mcast dns case?

/assar