Subject: Re: ex0: device timeout
To: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
From: Pierre Bourgin <pierre.bourgin@pcotech.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/26/2001 18:49:16
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Antti Kantee wrote:

 > On Wed Jul 25 2001 at 13:03:26 +0200, Pierre Bourgin wrote:
 > > I've got a 3com 556 miniPCI ethernet card on a laptop, but the generic (or
 > > laptop-) kernel of NetBSD-1.5.1/i386, that provide 'ex0' driver for it is
 > > unable to make it work :
 > >
 > > as soon as I try an 'ifconfig ex0 xxx.xxx.xxx. netmask ...', the kernel
 > > replies 'ex0: device timeout' :(
 > >
 > > This is strange because I remember to use ex0 for this kind of card on
 > > another laptop (2 months older) without any problem. But perhaps this other
 > > one has not exactly the same 3com chipset (revision changed ?)
 > >
 > > does someone have a clue or had the same troubles ?
 >
 > I have the same troubles, and I'm working on the clue ;). One thing
 > under suspicion is that there are several goodies sitting on irq 11 in
 > addition to the network card. But I've not been in a hurry to fix this
 > since I'm using wlan most of the time anyways.

I checked on the suspicious box, and I found (GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel):

% dmesg|grep 11

uhci0: interrupting at irq 11
ex0: interrupting at irq 11
tqphy at ex0 phy 0: 78Q2120 10/100 media interface, rev. 11
cbb0: interrupting at irq 11
cbb1: interrupting at irq 11

so I built a new 1.5.1/i386 kernel with the uhci* (pci/usb controller)
support removed:

% dmesg|grep 11
ex0: interrupting at irq 11
tqphy at ex0 phy 0: 78Q2120 10/100 media interface, rev. 11

but the same things happen :(

I built my kernel with extended PCI info, but nothing seems special to me
(not that I did not ever hacked OS code :(

regards,

Pierre Bourgin