Subject: Re: releasing IP
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8yvin?= Halfdan Thuv <>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/01/2001 10:07:45
der Mouse wrote:
> > I forgot to describe my actual problem.  What is happening is that I
> > have bougt myself an internet connection through cable modem, and the
> > ISP assigns IP adresses dynamically.  Therefore I have setup NetBSD
> > to obtain IP as a DHCP-client.
> Are you sure you should be using DHCP?  A lot of "high-speed" providers
> use PPPoE.  (It seems to be more popular among the DSL ones than the
> cable-modem ones, but you never know.)  The symptoms you describe sound
> a whole lot like what I'd expect if there's no DHCP server listening.

Yes they use DHCP. I tested this with windows now. Windows obtain an IP
address from DHCP so now I have DNS gateway IP etc. etc. I leased an IP
and got NetBSD running maniually with the leased IP. ...

I guess I'll just have to find out what info Windows sends to DHCP to
obtain an andress (a lot I'm afraid), and put this into

Maybe I'll find this om some windows newsgroup?

thanks anyway,