Subject: Re: tcp delayed ack - TCP_NODELAY
To: Douglas Egan <degan@calcon.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/21/2001 16:22:17
On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 05:41:18PM -0500, Douglas Egan wrote:

 > I am not really sure.  The samba help talks about 2 options:
 >
 > TCP_NODELAY  This effects the transmit side right, sending before the
 >              buffer is filled

Correct.

 > IPTOS_LOWDELAY   (is this the same as delay ack)

No -- this affects "type of service routing".  It's not affecting you,
I'm pretty sure :-)

 > Anyway I want to try to see what gives with my poor performance between
 > win2k and my samba server running on netbsd.
 >
 > The message before talked about delayed ack, so I will start there.
 >
 > Any help appreciated.

Well, I have a hard time believing that delayed ack is adversely
affecting your performance.  TCP_NODELAY is probably the best thing
to try first.  Do you have to enable some special option when you
build Samba in order for Samba to use this?

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>