Subject: Re: always print IPv4 alias addresses
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/30/2001 06:49:13
On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 05:42:27PM -0400, John Hawkinson wrote:

> > Maybe we can invert the meaning of -A to *not* print aliases ?
>
> That clearly violates the principal of least surprise. Choose
> another option letter, please.

It's always bothered me that a plain ifconfig (no options) returns an
error, where it could oh so easily perform the "-a" function (the
documentation is absurd enough to claim that "-a" is a special
interface name :-(

Perhaps we can let "-a" mean something slightly different from the
total absence of options, with the aliases as a primary difference?

++L