Subject: Re: author of ping
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/28/2001 21:31:00
On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 09:10:51PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 06:34:01PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
> >
> >   A friend says that the original author of ping(8) got killed in a car
> > accident (slashdot content apparently).  Should we put a requiem in the
> > man page?
>
> That's, apparently, true, but happened half a year ago (2000 Nov. 20).
> See links below for some Web reports.
>
> A one sentence note would be ok, I think; something like this?
>
> AUTHOR
> 	Mike Muuss died in a car accident 2000-Nov-20.

Read code, and found out about more authors of major components. Maybe
something like this would be more appropriate, not counting apparently minor
contributions.

AUTHORS
	Mike Muuss, BRL (original author)
	Phil Dykstra, BRL (record route)
	Steve Deering, Standford (multicast)
	Cliff Frost, UCB (ttl, duplicate detection)
	Tom Ferrin, UCSF (Pad pattern)
	Daniel Hagerty, MIT (print standard deviation)
	Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino (set IPsec policy)

 	Mike Muuss died in a car accident 2000-Nov-20.

Comments?
	-is