Subject: Re: gre tunneling causing predictable reboot
To: Rick Byers <>
From: Heiko Rupp <>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/26/2001 12:28:35
> scripts.  For some reason, I had put the greconfig line before the
> ifconfig line.  Restoring the order of theese two lines cleared up the
> problem.  This seems very strange to me, and I have no idea how to debug a
> problem like this.

If I recall correctly, you need to have the ifconfig (and especially a
"default" route
to the remote network) first in order to have the tunnel route calculated
Perhaps I should look at the gif code, how the route is calculated there and
gre accordingly when I get a modem running under NetBSD again. Also there is
new RFC on GRE, that updates RFC1701/2 a bit.

Heiko W.Rupp,,