Subject: Re: is ip forwarding/nat so cpu consuming?
To: Simas Mockevicius <symka@vejas.lt>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/23/2001 21:53:09
On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 11:21:02PM +0200, Simas Mockevicius wrote:
> Yes, I saw that thing on my 486, and on 90 Mhz AMD, when there was Linux installed
> load averages was 0.0, but NetBSD even without ipf+nat shows averages .15 and up
> :)
> I don't know why... Sorry, but I was writing because I want to show that not only
> you have the same question :)

As long as you run something to get the load the load isn't null.
"load average" isn't quite well defined (and is not only CPU usage - it's
usually based on processes in run queues, which is different) and has a
different meaning for each OS.
It's not because the load average is different that the CPU usage is
different.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>