Subject: Re: Poor tcp performance
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/19/2001 21:37:48
On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 12:22:25AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:

> I'm seeing poor TCP throughput.  It looks to me as though the window is
> 32K but there's never more than about 9K of data in transit.

Are you going to bother stating what this connection is?  I might
*guess* from the port numbers that it's outgoing mail, but who knows?
In addition, a snippet of a trace like this is ENTIRELY useless; there
are all sorts of secondary effects -- such as slow start, congestion
window monitoring, etc. -- that could cause instantaneous behavior like
this.