Subject: Re: Persistent WEP keys
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/09/2001 17:34:33
> It's my understanding that WEP keys are supposed to persist in non-volatile
> storage, so that e.g. the sysadmin can program the keys into the cards and
> then hand them out to people.

Hmm.  I think whether the storing WEP keys to non-volatile memory in
card is good or bad deeply depends on the environment.  If a user
move several places where different keys are used, temporary keys
would be better.  For 40-bit keys, also temporary keys may be better
because the keys needs to be changed weekly basis.  Basically, you
should not bring a wireless LAN cards WEP key stored to out of office...

Anyway, I agree that there should be a way to use persistent key
if possible.

> This seems really dumb -- should we just yank out the code that sets
> the keys in wi_init()?

I'm not sure the WEP key storage of the WaveLAN cards and PRISM-2 based
cards are non-volatile.  We should prepare the code to allow a temprary
key insteady of just yanking out, anyway.

Atsushi