Subject: Re: MSCHAP support in pppd
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: None <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/23/2001 09:55:35
On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 06:04:39PM -0500, John Klos wrote:
> >         ## MPPE support
> >         +chapms
> >         +chapms-v2
>
> The above is in the /etc/ppp/options file, but I get the following error:
> /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/options: unrecognized option '+chapsms'
> (and when I comment out the +chapsms, I get unrecognized '+chapsms-v2')
>
> Does anything in the pppd need to be updated to -current?

Oh yea, there's one more thing that I forgot to mention...

In /etc/mk.conf, you *must* have the following line:

  POPTOP_USE_MPPE=YES

Before you build the poptop package.  This will force poptop to build and
use the ppp-mppe package.  Sorry about that omission in my previous email.

> > And finally, although I can use Win98/2K to VPN in via PPTP, I still can't
> > browse my internal network (10.100.0.0/24).  If anyone knows how to get
> > browsing working, I'd really appreciate the help.  I've got a hunch that
> > I'm having IP routing issues due to the fact that the local and remote
> > PPTP IP addresses are on the internal network.
>
> I'll take a look at this, since it'll be necessary for our remote machine
> to see stuff on the server's (possibly local) network, too.
>
> This may be a silly suggestion, but you did make sure that
> net.inet.ip.forwarding is set to 1, right?  (sysctl -w
> net.inet.ip.forwarding=1) The machine has to know that it's responsible
> for forwarding packets coming along on the ppp interface...

Yes, I did this.  Besides poptop, the machine is a working firewall
with ipfilter and ipnat configured and working just fine.  And I have
double checked that ipfilter and ipnat aren't getting in the way of
the PPTP packets.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."