Subject: Re: tcsh for root shell
To: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
From: William Waites <ww@styx.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/22/2001 13:35:34
On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:57:14AM -0500, Mipam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose i'll compile tcsh staticly and install the bin in /bin
> and adjust /etc/shells to add /bin/tcsh in there.
> I'll change the root shell in vipw to put /bin/tcsh in there
> as well.. works fine.
> However, any reasons which i dont see right now that is
> why i shouldnt do this or why this is a bad idea?
> Perhaps for security reasons its not that a good idea, for tsch
> is bigger then sh and so will theoreticly contain more bugs
> and therefore more potential security issues.
> But other then that .. i have the feeling i am missing some arguments here?

As long as it is statically compiled I don't think there's a
technical reason why you shouldn't do this. But there is something
to be said for keeping root's environment a bit stripped down
and uncomfortable -- working a lot from a root prompt should be
discouraged. If your user environment is more comfortable to work
in than root's you'll be likely to spend less time executing commands
as root, which is generally a "good thing".

Cheers,
-w
--
|Will Waites|