Subject: Re: PPPoA?
To: Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
From: Nick Hudson <nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/05/2001 19:01:17
Brian Somers wrote:

> > On 02 Feb 2001 10:22:43 +0000, dme@dme.org wrote:
[...]

> > >  My company (http://www.thus.net) previously offered to provide support
> > >  for NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux driver developers for the Alcatel,
> > >  but noone stepped forward[1].
> >
> > Where on earth did you offer? I'm a Demon customer and NetBSD developer and
> > I'd love to see an Alcatel Speedtouch driver for NetBSD. Last rumour I heard
> > was that BT put a stop to the OpenSource driver being developed by an
> > Alcatel engineer. Alcatel are currently saying there are going to offer a
> > closed source driver - I guess for Linux only.
>
> I believe the guy that wrote the linux USB driver is porting it to
> *BSD.  Nick Hibma, who does a fair bit with USB on FreeBSD (cc'd)
> knows the details - any comments Nick ?

If you mean Johan Verrept then I've just looked at his home page again and all
that exists now is a picture of a penguin on top of a SpeedTouch modem. I got
the rumour above from his homepage about a month ago.

> User-ppp (pkgsrc/net/userppp) has support for PPPoA, but I must admit
> that I've never looked at the code in detail except to see if it'd
> break anything else.  Given working USB/atm support, I know of two
> people here in the UK that have promised to give Nick & I access to
> their ADSL/ATM setup, so finishing things off should be trivial...

Interesting. I'd have a look if I had an ATM interface to play with...

Nick
--
aka skrll@netbsd.org, skrll@excite.co.uk