Subject: Re: Netgear FA311 card => arp_rtrequest: bad gateway value
To: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/05/2001 09:29:31
On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 03:14:14AM -0800, Hal Murray wrote:

 > i386, Official release of NetBSD 1.5
 >
 > Here is from the GENERIC kernel as installed:
 >
 > sip0: flags=fbff<UP,BROADCAST,DEBUG,LOOPBACK,POINTOPOINT,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,NOARP,PROMISC,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,LINK0,LINK1,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

Y'know, someone else mentioned this problem -- that all the flags were
set in the ifnet.  I plugged an FA-312 (FA-311 + WOL support), and I
don't see this problem.  Nor did I see this problem when I originally
wrote the sip driver (it's the Ethernet driver for NCOS on a PowerPC-based
IBM NC).

What does "ifconfig sip0" say if you don't connect a cable and don't
ifconfig it up?  Here's mine:

swinger:thorpej 45$ ifconfig sip0
sip0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
        status: no carrier
swinger:thorpej 46$

--