Subject: Re: What 802.11 wireless gear do you recommend?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/04/2001 15:41:38
Back in early December, I asked on the list what 802.11 wireless gear
people preferred, and promised to follow up with a summary.  As is
becoming usual, it took far too long for me to do anything useful with
the data.  8-)

I got 4 e-mail replies.  The way I read them, they recommended:

	Lucent cards (3) -- using 'wi' driver.
	Lucent AP-1000 (1)
	Apple Airport (3)
	Lucent RG-1000 (1)

My understanding is that the underlying hardware in the Airport and
RG-1000 is the same.  Lucent hardware is obviously the strong favorite
in the responses I got -- there were some mentions of other gear, but
in fact little experience with things other than those above.

Other discussion with NetBSD developers reinforced the high opinion of
the Lucent gear.

The story for non-GUI configuration doesn't seem to be great.  The
Lucent AP-1000 has a serial port, which will allegedly be supported
for configuration by a future SW release (or so says their web page).
On the plus side, there's a java-based configuration program for the
Airport and RG-1000 in pkgsrc, which apparently works well.

I've not bought the hardware for myself yet, but I'm planning to buy
Lucent Gold cards.  I've not decided on a gateway yet, but it'll be
one of Lucent ones or the AirPort.

chris