Subject: Re: PPPoA?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: None <dme@dme.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/02/2001 10:22:43
* ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de [2001-02-02 09:49:33]
> > I have a requirement to route my home network over a PPPoA link - running
> > of a USB DSL modem.
>
> PPP over ATM?

I'd guess `yes'.  The `domestic' BT ADSL service in the UK is provided
as PPP over ATM.  There are two flavours (each with slight variants):
   - ethernet delivery (originally three boxes - splitter, ATM router
     and IP rotuter, now just one box and a new wall unit (splitter in
     wall unit, box is ATM router, IP router and hub),
   - USB delivery (splitter in wall unit, Alcatel `stingray' USB<->ATM
     box).

The ethernet service is offered in a variety of forms - NAT, non-NAT,
512kbps, 1Mbps, 2Mbps downstream, all 256kbps upstream.

The USB service is offered with a single IP address (non-NAT) at
512kbps downstream, 256kbps upstream.

All of these are known as BT IPstream products.  There is an ATM
terminated service (Datastream), but I'm unsure if that is
commercially launched yet.

Almost all ADSL activity in the UK is through these BT wholesale
services.

To get the USB service working under NetBSD we'd need:
   - a driver for the Alcatel USB device,
   - an ATM implementation, with glue to the above,
   - a PPPoA implementation.

My company (http://www.thus.net) previously offered to provide support
for NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux driver developers for the Alcatel,
but noone stepped forward[1].

Footnotes:
[1] I'm about to leave Thus, so I don't know if the offer would still
stand.

dme.