Subject: Re: MPLS ethertypes
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: William Waites <ww@AREA22.STYX.ORG>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/01/2001 16:53:35
Ignatios Souvatzis did wrote:

 > Have you checked whether any of the uncounted IBM or four Nortel patents
 > claimed to refer to MPLS forbid this without a license? See the IETF
 > intellectual property rights page for details.

I hadn't even suspected that this may be a problem. I figured it
would be comparably ridiculous to making IP (Intellectual Property)
claims about IP (Internet Protocol). Personally, I think that for
something to be a standard it must be unencumbered by patents. In
fact the basic idea of intellectual property is fraudulent.

That being said, I fired off an email to both of the addresses mentioned
on the IETF page explaining that I was working on an MPLS implementation
that will run under NetBSD (and maybe someday the other BSDs) and I
intend to make it publicly available once I have something workable.

The email to IBM bounced, and I have yet to hear back from Nortel.

Cheers,
-w
--
|Will Waites|