Subject: Re: Performance of Alteon/Tigon Gigabit Ethernet cards
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/30/2001 14:46:53
> A yes, you need to increase NMBCLUSTERS

Thanks.

I'm already running with 4K.  These machines have a lot of network
cards so that may not be enough.

The out-of-buffers messages only happen when I run the UDP blast
test.  I assume the buffers are all piling up on some to-be-dispatched
input queue because there aren't enough CPU cycles to keep up with
the sending side.

Do all the queues have limit checks?  If I make NMBCLUSTERS big enough
will the messages (and associated troubles) go away?

If not, making NMBCLUSTERS even bigger just means more buffers get
on some queue before the messages start happening.

I might try commenting out the didn't-get-a-buffer message in each
driver in hopes that the system will spend fewer cycles printing
messages and thus have more to spend on processing buffers.

> I have a netgear in a DS20, it works pretty well.

What sort of throughput can you get?  How hard have you hit it?