Subject: Re: nat configuration
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/22/2001 12:30:35

> >> make it more interesting, just to amuse me?  ping the same outside
> >> address ( i usually use 137.39.1.3) from two machines inside the nat
> >> and lemme know if it works.
> >
> >Yes, it works.  libalias (used by user-ppp) recognises icmp traffic,
> >and nat's the sequence number and IP.
>
> no...what i meant was (a) using the nat built into netbsd-current, (b)
> ping one destination from (c) more than one machine behind the nat.
>
> that, i believe, is what doesn't work (at least, not for me).  that is
> what works using the userspace ppp implementation.

Sorry, I misunderstood.  We're saying the same thing.

> >> me too.
> >
> >It still works (and will continue to).
>
> using the in-kernel nat, or the userspace one?  i know the userspace
> one works.

Sorry, I misunderstood again.  I mean user-ppp :OI

[.....]
> >user-ppp was originally written by IIJ and was picked up by me and
> >almost entirely re-written (multi-link support made this necessary)
> >since then.
>
> are there any common roots with the kernel one, or is it a completely
> clean-room re-implementation?  i expect that it's completely
> independent.

I believe it's completely independent although the VJ header
compression code is derived from the same thing (the rfc AFAIK).  All
the stuff I've done since '96/'97 is original.

If anyone's been in the pppd kernel code they'd know why... it's
``evolved'' and has a lot of nasty bits that should really be
re-designed away (IMHO).

> of course.  i'm beginning to suspect that some people are confusing
> what i'm saying.

Me for one :-)

[.....]

--