Subject: Re: /etc/ifconfig.foo enhancement
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/11/2001 19:09:03
On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 02:58:22AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >Sounds nice to me, but then I'd also like to see an equivalent
> >ifdeconfig.wi0 etc to kill that dhclient that gets started by
> >ifconfig.wi0. Hmmm, or maybe better let dhclient survive interface
> >removal (or does it already do that?) and a new dhclient call merely
> >send a -HUP signal to the one already running on interface addition to
> >indicate such an event.
>
> 	ifdeconfig.wi0... i believe that needs more sophisticated thing
> 	than just a script fragment...
to make it really useful, yes. then both ifconfig.wi0 and
ifdeconfig.wi0 should be `executed' upon card insertion and removal
respectivily. for now, ifdeconfig.wi0 could already have some use to
make `/etc/rc.d/network stop' more flexible where `ifconfig down' is
just not enough.

one other thing; I'd like to have the option for ifconfig.foo also to
specify it is a non-IPv6 interface, i.e. it's linklocal address should
be deleted. Is somewhat useful I think in cases where you want e.g. only
6to4 IPv6 connectivity and the real interface should be and remain
IPv4 only. It's a minor thing, as in most cases keeping the linklocal
on v4 interfaces is not an issue, but in some cases it may be useful
to have if not only for network testing/admin use.

Feico.