Subject: Re: /etc/ifconfig.foo enhancement
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/11/2001 16:41:49
On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 07:44:05PM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> 	the attached patch will allow two things in /etc/ifconfig.*:
> 	- allow comments started by "#"
> 	- allow command invocation started by "!"
>
> 	what is good about these?  comment is obvious.  "!" is good
> 	as it will get invoked only when you have particular interface on
> 	the system.  so, for example, if you use two pcmcia cards (like wi0
> 	or an0) time to time, you can do something like this, and only either
> 	of them (for the currently-inserted card) will get used:

Sounds nice to me, but then I'd also like to see an equivalent
ifdeconfig.wi0 etc to kill that dhclient that gets started by
ifconfig.wi0. Hmmm, or maybe better let dhclient survive interface
removal (or does it already do that?) and a new dhclient call merely
send a -HUP signal to the one already running on interface addition to
indicate such an event.

Feico.