Subject: Re: IPv6 capable tun
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/10/2001 19:42:29
>>>>> "itojun" == itojun  <itojun@iijlab.net> writes:
    itojun> 	for IFF_MULTICAST, I believe we need to have proper multicast group
    itojun> 	management code in tunioctl().

  What do we need to do?
  Just keep track of which multicast groups are on? Or do you think that
these things should be passed to the application?

    itojun> 	BPF cases should be okay if we prepend AF_INET6.

  okay, this is easy.

    >> Two questions:
    >> 1) if peeing the header is the right thing to do, is this the right way to
    >> do it?
    >> 2) tun0 seems to assume that things were IPv4. Why would assuming IP be any
    >> worse than what we had before?
    >> I realize that many people want a more general tunnel device.

    itojun> 	i'd mandate TUN_PREPADDR (set it to always on), not sure if it is
    itojun> 	okay with applications.

  We can certainly mandate it for IPv6.

    itojun> 	another issue - there's no compatibility between *BSD, regarding to
    itojun> 	packet encoding on character device side...

  What do you mean? What do you other BSDs do?

] Train travel features AC outlets with no take-off restrictions|gigabit is no[
]   Michael Richardson, Solidum Systems   Oh where, oh where has|problem  with[
]     mcr@solidum.com   www.solidum.com   the little fishy gone?|PAX.port 1100[