Subject: NFS-exports and root-account on "foreign" clients
To: <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Marcel Meyer <meyerm@fs.tum.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/08/2001 23:42:55
Hi,

possibly a newbie question. :-) We export many files (homes, configs etc)
with NFS from our server. But there are some computers outside of our
internal network where "other persons *g*" are root and they import those
files with the same rights too.
Problem: With root-rights it is possible to write a script or copy a
standard binary to a home-dir and set the +s bit (with root as owner).
Now, these scripts can be executed on our "normal" clients from a standard
user. That's not what we want :-).
I looked into the manpage of exports but I didn't find any useful option.
Do you have any idea (perhaps a trivial one? *g*) how to solve that
problem?

Thank you,
	Marcel

                     _\|/_
                    `(o-o)'
| Marcel Meyer                 |  c/o Fachschaft Mathe/Physik/Info  |
| meyerm@fs.tum.de             |  Technische Universitaet Muenchen  |
| Tel.: +49.89.289-22997       |  Arcisstrasse 19, D-80290 Muenchen |