Subject: Re: Zembu Packet Classifier -- would like to put it in the mainline
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/29/2000 05:40:20
I have two things to say about this:

* First of all, I agree with the concept.  (After all, I proposed the
  idea years ago myself.)  However, it doesn't make sense to ask
  people to give you a green light to commit something based on a man
  page alone.  Even disregarding actual code, there are many things
  you've left unspecified -- such as where it actually hooks into the
  network stack.

* I have SERIOUS reservations about NetBSD components being named
  after companies.  This sets a bad precedent, and I envision a day
  when it won't be possible to even read documentation without seeing
  what is effectively advertising.  This was never done in the
  Berkeley days, either, even though many components (e.g. label
  support) were contributed wholesale.  NetBSD is an operating system,
  not an advertising medium.