Subject: Re: D-Link multiport Ethernet adapters.
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/01/2000 11:51:25
[ On Friday, December 1, 2000 at 11:11:11 (+0100), Ignatios Souvatzis wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: D-Link multiport Ethernet adapters.
>
> All 100 Mbit boards I know of can do full duplex.

100base-T4 is half-duplex only, unfortunately.

Oddly 100base-T2, which requires only two pairs of Cat-3 UTP cable, is
half or full-duplex, *and* it's rated to 100 meters!  It uses a
different encoding scheme (PAM5x5 based) and the trancievers are
supposedly rather complex and difficult to engineer, so unless the
market demands it (which is almost impossible today given the
penetration of Cat-5 wiring and the silly belief many people have that
even 10base-T requires it), everything I've read to date suggests that
devices with 100base-T2 will likely never appear.  I guess that means
we'll never find out just how far Cat-3 cable can be "stretched" either.

--
							Greg A. Woods