Subject: Re: DF bit copying in gif processing
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/17/2000 09:31:12
With the state of the "art" in packet filtering these days, many sites
block ALL ICMP, not just the stuff that is commonly abused.  This, of
course, breaks PMTU.

So, one hack I made to the GRE driver was to never set the DF bit on
outgoing outer layer packets.  this suddenly made web sites that I
couldn't reach reachable.

It may violate a spec here or there, but I'd trade no-operation for
fragmentation any day...

--Michael