Subject: Re: Interaction with SCO Server 5.0.5
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/27/2000 13:57:33
On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 12:35:21PM +0100, Jasper Wallace wrote:

> This might be a full-duplex/half-duplex negotiation issue - what did/does
> your switch think the port is running at compared to what netbsd thinks
> it's running at?

I don't really know these things (I'm totally baffled about the
switch, I can't figure out how it matches 10MHz segments to 100MHz
segments if it's as unintelligent as I think), but when the two hosts
were on the same hub, the problem was at its worst.

I'm not sure how to check, we try to lean on others for our network
wiring savvy.  As you can imagine, the results are less than
satisfying.

But the problem has been exaggerated beyond acceptable limits by
upgrading from 1.4 to 1.4.2, which strikes me as curable.

Note these odd FTP times for the 2MB SCO Unix kernel:

NetBSD 1.4.2 host on 100Mhz segment -> SCO host:	2.1 seconds
SCO host -> NetBSD 1.4.2 host on 100MHz segment:	39 seconds
NetBSD 1.4.2 host on 10Mhz segment -> SCO host:		2.1 seconds
SCO host -> NetBSD 1.4.2 host on 10MHz segment:		19 seconds
NetBSD 1.1 host on 10Mhz segment -> SCO host:		6.1 seconds
SCO host -> NetBSD 1.1 host on 10MHz segment:		7.6 seconds

Of these, the last ones would be preferable :-)  Maybe I should route
traffic through an intermediate host running an old version of NetBSD
:-)

++L