Subject: Re: fragmentation by NetBSD routers vs. reassembly on other systems....
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/02/2000 13:39:40
[ On Saturday, September 2, 2000 at 16:45:57 (+0200), Sean Doran wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: fragmentation by NetBSD routers vs. reassembly on other systems....
>
> On the remote system, if you do "netstat -p ip", what values do you see for
> "fragments received" / "fragments dropped" / "packets reassembled ok" ?

I wish I could -- so far I've not had access to any of the remote
systems I've had trouble sending to....  I thought I'd given enough
hints about this that the admins I had talked to would have thought to
do this, but if they did they didn't send me the results....

If anyone thinks their system might have similar troubles receiving data
from my system(s) I can quickly disable mtudisc again and try a test
while they run tcpdump and take these other relevant measurements....

(my own servers have higher "fragments dropped after timeout" counts
than any other system I've looked at just now, but then since it is my
GIF-tunnel link that causes fragmentation, and given that I've had
latency and loss problems on that link, this isn't really unexpected,
and the ratio to "packets reassembled ok" is very low too)

--
							Greg A. Woods